Hey, Guest!! Show Unread Show Replies Forum Stats - 22 Posts - 13 Topics - 8 Members

Topic:   The Simple Rock Test   (Read 7236 times)

0 Members and Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline EPOman

• Administrator

• no avatar

• View Profile
The Simple Rock Test
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
One thing we're proud of with EPO putty is the shear holding strength when bonding two materials together. Something we like to try is the simple rock test. Sounds easy right? Not so much for most 2-part putties.

EPO Putty has a longer set time, increasing it's holding strength. It's easier to smooth and mold around the rocks.

Most putties on the market have a short working time, and are very difficult to mold and smooth around the seem.

Give it a try!

Offline EPOman

• Administrator

• no avatar

• View Profile
Re: The Simple Rock Test
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
I recently got into a discussion about the holding strength of another brand of 2-part waterproof 2-part putty.

So after some searching I found it online and paid out my $12.50 for the 2oz. tube. (kinda pricey compared to EPO, but shipping was included!  ::)) For a size comparison, here's how it stacks up... 2oz. to the (almost) 4oz. kit of EPO putty. At over twice the price per gram. It must be some awesome stuff! Right?

Most of the 2-parts readily available in the US are the all in one type, meaning both parts A + B are manufactured in the same tube. I never really understood the reasoning behing this, but I believe it's just because us American are lazy and don't want to open 2 packages... Go figure... Anyways, As the case usually is, no matter what you do there is always tiny 'cured' chunks in the putty as your mixing. So the all in one types require alot more mixing.

The same goes with tearing off a chunk, the pieces that are left over usually harden, and become useless.. well at least the end does...

After a long and thorough mixing, a very strong chemical smell filled the room, I personally won't be trying this in my running reef tank, but i guess people say it's reef safe, of course the skimmers don't generally agree!!

I bonded the 2 rocks together, and tried to mold the putty in the seam between them, seeing it was very hard to smooth, I added some water. This for some reason didn't make it any easier to smooth, the putty just kept trying to crumble up and fall apart..

SO, I just gave up and smooshed around the seam the best I can. Definatly not a smooth finish!

I tried the same with some rubble reef rock, and same thing.. either way they are stuck together!

The packaging states that it cures in 2-3 hours, and fully cures in 24 hours. So I went about my daily and nightly doings and the next day, (actually around 30 hours later) I picked them up, and I noticed first they did seem fairly well stuck together!

But soon I was deceived, a nice twist and the rocks broke apart...  :(

But I did have a back-up rock test with the rubble rock! So again, seemed like a nice and solid bond, but after a small twist, they broke apart. Now this really surprised me, because even when using the EPO putty, they rocks will break apart, BUT the rock itself will break, not the bonded EPO, This was not the case, the rock did not break, but the bond itself as shown in the picture...

I call this another FAIL.

I ordered a couple more kinds, which are imported from Europe, and they are not the all in one types, so there will be some more rock tests coming up soon!

Not sure why I waste my money on trying other products, but If I want to claim this to be the best, I need to try the other so called 'Best'.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:55:14 PM by EPOman »

Offline EPOman

• Administrator

• no avatar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
Well,  I finally got my order in last week for 2 more kinds of "Aquascaping putty". Since I brought up price on the last test, I'll mention it on this one also, the first one I purchased for $9.99 (msrp was $17.99 - OUCH!) The second one I purchased for $11.99, (msrp was $16.99)
  Both were 4 oz. kits, I say the word kit because these are the seperate 2 part type. Imported from europe. Much to my surprise, once opened, the packaging inside was exactly the same, and I might add exactly the same as Milliput brand.

How do I know this? Basically all these 2 brands do is slap their name on another brand, after they have them mix some sort of dye in with the resin... these are supposed to be 'coral color'... I guess....

One thing I first noticed on the packaging was the 'Irritant' warning, surprisingly on both products -

Their directions say to wear gloves...

I will say this, I do like their packaging, Both parts wrapped up in a sort of 'baggie'. Very easy to wrap back up after using... That's about all I'll say nice....

I measured out equal parts, and began mixing together, after about a minute, It was very easy to see that they weren't mixed yet,

but soon, 5 minutes later, completly mixed... and nice uniform color...

As were my fingers... Now I see the need for gloves!!

After smoothing out, which I will say, was a little easier then the other putties I've tested, (other then EPO) the rocks were set aside for a full 24 hours.

The next day, the first one I picked up, seemed to be held together fairly well... although the putty really wasn't totally hard, I can still with pressure dig my finger nail in... After a little tug, the rocks pulled apart.

The second set of rocks I had my wife pull them apart, just to be sure...

FAIL once again!

Once again, the rock test came out ahead, Good job EPO putty! Still #1

Offline EPOman

• Administrator

• no avatar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
Ok, had to try it, repaired the fail test with EPO putty..

24 hours later...

Offline EPOman

• Administrator

• no avatar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »
Almost forgot!
  I tried the other dyed Milliput, I mean other re-branded name of putty....

This time Coralline colored....

Ya, my thought exactly....

Now I see the need for gloves... Glad I wore them!

I forgot the finished product for almost a week, all that purple dye musta helped, it took a little more grunting, but it still broke by hand....

Offline Epo Putty UK

• no avatar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
Another interesting test Jim. You are right that D-D is milliput, it is made in the factory in Wales, it is packaged at the milliput factory and is the same product. Over here milliput retails at about 2.50 which I would guess is around $3-$3.50 in todays climate. D-D altered the packaging and instructed milliput to add a purple dye, added a fish picture to the box and it retails at 5 (about $7.50 ish?)

Let me know if you want to do any more tests with it, I have some I can send you from my reefing days before Epo Putty!!
Be carefull when using it underwater as it sucks all the o2 out of the water column and kills your fish stock! You have to use it sparingly and keep a powerhead pointing at the surface to maintain the oxygen levels in a tank..also that dye will stain your clothes!!...the best thing to do is use Epo Putty which doesnt have any of those side effects!